Montgomery County Illinois History
The Odd Fellows Building – Hillsboro Illinois

The Odd Fellows' Building, southeast corner of Main and Wood streets, occupies the site of Hillsboro's first hotel, the American House. Built in 1829 by John Tillson and David Jackson, the spacious frame building was a favorite inn for more than a half a century. In 1887 the American House was replaced by the present structure, which was built for an opera house. The Odd Fellows' lodge purchased the building in 1922.

Taken from: “Hillsboro Guide” 1940


The Opera House – Hillsboro Illinois

The 90 year old building on the corner of Main and Wood Streets, pictured above during the trolley line era, will soon undergo major structural changes. Condemned as “unsafe” after collapse of a roof section last month., the building may be partially saved or totally razed, depending on the architectural recommendations.

Constructed in 1887 the Opera House was long the site of local talent productions, professional entertainment, graduation exercises and other public gatherings.

The picture below is the second floor of the Opera Hall before its conversion into a nickelodeon theater and professional offices.

Taken from: “The Montgomery County News” 11/3/1977 

Posted in: Hillsboro
Actions: E-mail | Permalink |

Post Rating