Montgomery County Illinois History

Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument – Oak Grove Cemetery – Hillsboro Illinois

Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument – Oak Grove Cemetery – Hillsboro Illinois

Still Standing Guard – Soldiers Memorial Nearly A Century Old

By: Richard Slepicka

The soldiers' monument which stands over the entrance to Oak Grove Cemetery in Hillsboro is nearly a century old. Fund raising efforts were going on 100 years ago to raise $500 to erect the statue, according to the April 18, 1902, issue of The Montgomery County News.

It was finished in October of 1902 and The News carried a photo of the statue erected by A.F. McEwen of the Litchfield Marble and Granite Company. The monument was a joint project of the Women's Relief Corps and Grand Army of the Republic post. The News credited Mrs. Jennie B. Truitt and Mrs. C. A. Ramsey for much of the work in collecting donations.

A formal dedication service was held November 7, 1902. The ceremony began with a parade from the courthouse in which several hundred school children participated. The main speaker was the Rev. A.P. Stover of Lincoln who spoke for nearly an hour. The ceremony closed with the audience standing and singing ''America.''

For many years since then, the monument was the sight of the annual Memorial Day service. For the past several years the service has been held in the VFW Hall in Taylor Springs.

Taken from: “The Montgomery County News” April 16, 2002

Posted in: Hillsboro
Actions: E-mail | Permalink |

Post Rating