Montgomery County Illinois History
This is the second house to be situated in this location. An earlier frame structure was built by Robert W. and Amanda J. Davis about 1867 and was occupied by them and at least five successors in title prior to 1912. The earlier house faced Jefferson Street, rather than Tremont, at the time these streets were paved in 1911 and 1912. The property was acquired by the late Frank L. and Erna R. McDavid in 1912.
The present brick structure was built during the years 1912 and 1913 after razing of the older frame structure. The McDavid family owned and occupied the house until 1939, when it was sold to Mr. and Mrs. Harry B. Walker. Mr. and Mrs. Donald H. Walker and Mr. and Mrs. Joe Roseman also owned the property prior to purchase by the Browns in 1963. Since that time I the house has been completely remodeled.
The McDavid’s employed an architectural firm in Cleveland, Ohio to design and oversee construction of the house, which may be described as a modified Edwardian Tudor style. It was built by the firm of the late John T. Morgan and contained many features of construction then new to the community, among them the English "half-timbered" effect on the exterior wall of the front stairwell and the red tile roof.
Mr. Herbert F. Johnsey and son, Herbert, Jr., were in principal charge of the remodeling done by the Browns. This included complete replacement of all of the original plumbing, heating and ventilating equipment, and refurbishing and adding bathrooms and making the entire basement and third floor areas usable.

The house was extremely well built with 16" poured concrete foundation walls, concrete basement partition walls and 13" brick exterior walls laid in Flemish Bond pattern. Much of the window glass was 1/4" plate and the bulk of the trim was oak. Moldings and trim in the dining room are of birch and doors are oak and gum. In remodeling, native walnut was used in the master bath, and native oak was artificially gouged and scored to produce the aged effect on the beams used in the rathskeller.
In recent years, the Browns have doubled the size of the old brick carriage house and stable which now serves as a double garage and storage area, and have constructed a large brick and ornamental iron wall to enclose a new pebbled-concrete terrace in the back yard area.
Posted in: Hillsboro
Actions: E-mail | Permalink |

Post Rating