Submitted by: Ann Stansell
on: March 14, 2011 | Page view count: 608 |
The Bear Creek Church
The first old log Bear Creek Church was among the oldest in the county and was erected by the Cumberland Presbyterians who lived in the vicinity. It was built first near the Jesse Johnson farm north of Donnellson, but later rebuilt about a mile northwest of Donnellson near what is now commonly known as the Aydelott farm. There was a graveyard where the church was first built, and that too was abandoned, and the burying transferred to the later place after the relocating of the church. In 1857 the church organization abandoned the log structure and built a small brick church in Donnellson. Later the brick church was abandoned and a frame church built in place of the brick one, more modern in style and spacious in size. The old cemetery near the Aydelott residence continues to be known as the Bear Creek Cemetery and contains the remains of many of the county's earliest settlers. The Paisleys, the McLains and other pioneers in the old church as well as fathers and mothers of long lines of descent now in the county lie buried there, and the memories of the old church are frequent topics of conversation when these descendants meet together.
Transcribed from an article of unknown origin.