Montgomery County Illinois History

WENONAH

A mine was sunk in 1905 one mile north of Nokomis. A town sprang up near the mine was named Wenonah in keeping with the Indian tradition. In literature Wenonah was the daughter of Nokomis and mother of Hiawatha.

The mine employed over 1000 men at one time.

Soon after the opening of the mine a school house was erected and a railroad switch was extended from Nokomis to the mine. Although the mine was closed in May, 1939, the Village of Wenonah is still a popular place to live.

Taken from the Nokomis Centennial Booklet 1856-1956

Posted in: Wenonah
Actions: E-mail | Permalink |

Post Rating