Montgomery County Illinois History

Hillsboro Area Hospital – Hillsboro Illinois

The Hillsboro Hospital, 800 School Street, has thirty-three beds and excellent operating and X-ray rooms. On March 17, 1905, representatives of the Woman's Relief Corps, the W. C. T. U., the Rebekahs, the Order of Eastern Star, and the Rathbone societies organized the first hospital association. Officers elected were Mrs. Jennie Truitt, Mrs. Hattie McDavid, Mrs. Lizzie Michel, Mrs. Sophia Tobias, Mrs. Olive Roberts, and Mrs. Delia Shoemaker. A campaign to raise money was begun with a benefit show at the old opera house. Miss Nellie Woodruff won the prize for selling the most tickets. Hospital boxes were placed in Hillsboro stores. Fairs, tag days, and contributions from the people of Hillsboro, Butler Grove, and other communities swelled the fund.

Year after year the drive went on until in 1915 there was sufficient money to begin construction of the hospital building. In January, 1916, rooms were furnished by the American Smelter, the Woman's Relief Corps, citizens of Donnellson, Mrs. J. K. McDavid, the employees of the Schram Glass Factory, the Ladies' Heading Circle, the Odd Fellows’ Lodge, the Presbyterian Church, the History Club, and the Self Culture Club. Dr. H. K. Fink, H. S. Hargrave, and Frank H. Brown secured donations for furnishing two wards.

At the opening, February 22, 1916, Judge Amos Miller dedicated the building as follows:
On this opening day we dedicate this building and all its equipment to the service of relieving pain and restoring to health and vigor, the sick and Injured. In a deeper sense, If possible, let us one and all dedicate ourselves to an unselfish service for the support and maintenance of this hospital, to the end that it may become a blessing to the city of Hillsboro and surrounding community.

Officers of the Hospital Association at the time the building was completed were: Mrs. Eugenia Helston, Mrs. Kate Seward, Mrs. Addie Armstrong, Mrs. A. L. Howell, and Mrs. Hattie McDavid. The committees were: finance, J. J. Frey and Frank H. Brown; construction: Doctors Z. V. Kimball. W. W. Douglas, H. A. Seymour, James P. Brown, and J. L. Dryer.

The first hospital superintendent was Mr. B. Bye, a native of Norway who had been in Hillsboro caring for the late Judge Cooper. Miss Ota Denton was one of the first nurses at the institution.

Facilities at the hospital eventually proved inadequate, and in April 1922, a new addition was completed. Other improvements have made this hospital one of the best of its size in central Illinois. Mrs. Amos Dort is the superintendent of nineteen employees.

Members of the hospital board are Mrs. J. F. Y. Rice, Miss Ida Truitt, Frank H. Brown, A. L. Schram, A. H. Dorsey, Mrs. C. C. Baxter, Mrs. Frank I. Clotfelter, Miss Esther Challacombe, and Elbert Butler.

Taken from "Hillsboro Guide" 1940

Posted in: Hillsboro
Actions: E-mail | Permalink |

Post Rating