Montgomery County Illinois History

Stamer Implement Company

This firm, dealers for the Massey-Harris line of farm equipment, was established in January, 1946, by Chris G. Stamer.

For several years prior to coming to Litchfield, Mr. Stamer was engaged in farming operations in the Mt. Olive community. In 1934 he came to Litchfield and was employed by Buske Truck Lines as a mechanic, a position which he held until he established his own business, the Stamer Implement Company. At that time the building now located at 510 West Union Avenue was built and especially equipped to house the implement dealership.

For many years this site had been the location of the old Wabash Restaurant. Since opening his business, Mr. Stamer has specialized in the repair of all kinds of farm machinery. An efficient shop is in daily operation for convenience of customers and a floor stock of Massey-Harris products and parts has been available almost constantly since the business was started.

Mr. Stamer holds membership in the Litchfield Chamber of Commerce and the Mississippi Valley Farm Implement Dealers Association.

November 1, 1931, Mr. Stamer married the former Miss Alva Stowe. They are the parents of three children, Dwane and Jack, who are associated with their father in the business, and Carol, aged eight years. A brother-in-law, Almus Stowe, also works at the Company shop.

Posted in: Litchfield
Actions: E-mail | Permalink |

Post Rating