Montgomery County Illinois History

Eagle Picher Lead Company Plant

The Eagle Picher Lead Company Plant, one half mile northwest of the railroad depot, is one of Hillsboro's main industrial concerns. The plant buildings occupy about thirty acres of ground. The company manufactures all grades of zinc oxides, including American process, French process, and leaded zinc oxides. The finished product is used in the manufacture of paint, potter clays, and rubber tires.

Zinc and lead ores and slab zinc from the lead mines in the Tri-State area are first oxidized by heating them to a vapor temperature. The zinc oxide is then conveyed from the furnaces through large pipes to the bag houses where it is blended and packed for shipment. Oxides from the Hillsboro plant are shipped to all points in the United States and to many foreign countries. The employees have a large, well equipped clubroom and other recreational facilities. The company has an excellent record in the field of safety and health.

Taken from: “Hillsboro Guide” 1940

Posted in: Hillsboro
Actions: E-mail | Permalink |

Post Rating