Montgomery County Illinois History

Entries for April 2009

The Nason Coal Company sank a mine a miles west from the corporate limits of Nokomis about 1913. Interested people laid out a town plot, sold lots, and built houses. The town was christened Coalton, the houses were occupied and more houses were buil...
Early History Of Nokomis Illinois
Up to the beginning of the nineteenth century little progress was made in extending the frontier beyond a small strip on the eastern seaboard. There were a few venturesome souls who pushed west and brought back glowing accounts of the possibilities o...
     The town of Taylor Springs, one and a half miles south of Hillsboro, has the American Acid Company, the largest smelter in the world. The town of Taylor Springs is on the Big Four Railroad and is connected with Hillsboro by a...
     The American Zinc Company plant (now ASARCO) was built in 1911 on land at the west edge of Taylor Springs.  The plant site and adjoining lakes covered 181 acres of a total 673 acres purchased by the owners.  There w...