Montgomery County Illinois History

Entries for May 2010

Origin of the township name "Bois d’ Arc" In the spring of 1851 Mr. Lewis Thomas entered 970 acres of land in township 12 N., R 5 W., Montgomery County.  This was the fourth, and by far the most important, entry made in this township.&n...
The most successful effort at town building was made when some of the Hillsboro progressive citizens bought a field of coal along the north line of the township where Mr. Pocock had essayed to secure a station to be named Pocock, and which had seemin...
The Free Press-Gazette found its origin in the consolidation of the Free Press and the Gazette. The Gazette was established in 1871 by Picket & White, who received a bonus of $500 from the citizens at the time. In the fall of 1872, D. H. Zepp and...
Bois D'Arc West The first settlement made in this township was made by John Hendershott, at the head of the Macoupin Creek, about the year 1825.  This was one of the first settlements made in the county.  Mr. Hendershott's wife was the f...