Montgomery County Illinois History
By Idabel Evans In 1834, according to the Gazetteer of Illinois, Hillsboro was a "healthy and flourishing town" with 50 families and 250 inhabitants, six stores, four taverns, three blacksmiths, two tanneries, one shoemaker, two tailors, one tanner,...
Montgomery County Farm Bureau – Hillsboro Illinois The Montgomery County Farm Bureau has its headquarters in a building on the west side of the courthouse square. The local Farm Bureau was organized April 1, 1918, but it is known that as early...
The American House – Hillsboro Illinois The southeast corner of Main and Wood streets, occupies the site of Hillsboro's first hotel, the American House. Built in 1829 by John Tillson and David Jackson, the spacious frame building was a favori...
The Odd Fellows Building – Hillsboro Illinois The Odd Fellows' Building, southeast corner of Main and Wood streets, occupies the site of Hillsboro's first hotel, the American House. Built in 1829 by John Tillson and David Jackson, the spacious...
The Hiram Rountree House – Hillsboro Illinois The Hiram Rountree House, on the southwest corner of Wood and Rountree streets, is the oldest building in Hillsboro. Erected in 1831 by Hiram Rountree, the rambling but sturdy brick building has a ...
Page 13 of 33First   Previous   8  9  10  11  12  [13]  14  15  16  17  Next   Last