Montgomery County Illinois History
As before mentioned John Tillson was the first merchant, and the second was John Prentice, who opened his store in 1825. He came from St. Clair County to Hillsboro and lived in "Granny" Wright's cabin. Another early merchant was Charles Holmes who ca...
Exerpt from Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of Montgomery County Volume II: A BUTLER GHOST During the summer of 1916 Perry Williamson while working for a neighbor, a quarter of a mile away, saw what he supposed to be his daughter st...
The Pana District Mutual Wind Storm Insurance Company was organized in 1894 by the representatives of the various mutual fire companies in the territory occupied by them, to insure against wind storm, for the reason that their charters did not permit...
Origin of the township name "Bois d’ Arc" In the spring of 1851 Mr. Lewis Thomas entered 970 acres of land in township 12 N., R 5 W., Montgomery County.  This was the fourth, and by far the most important, entry made in this township.&n...
The most successful effort at town building was made when some of the Hillsboro progressive citizens bought a field of coal along the north line of the township where Mr. Pocock had essayed to secure a station to be named Pocock, and which had seemin...
Page 4 of 33First   Previous   1  2  3  [4]  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next   Last