REV. J. LIVENGOOD
was born July llth, 1814, in Honeybrook Township, Chester County, Penn. His father dying when he was but two years old, he continued to reside with his mother, and sisters till about seventeen years of age, when the family removed to Elizabethtown, Lancaster County, Penn.
Here he was engaged in various secular pursuits, but mostly in teaching school, until he was about twenty three years of age. At this time he became impressed that it was his duty to prepare himself for a wider sphere of usefulness, and under this impression he repaired to Pennsylvania College with a view to studying for the Gospel Ministry. Here, having attended a regular course of catechetical instruction he was received into the church bv the sacred ordinance of Baptism, and thus assumed the solemn obligations of the Christain life ; and he humbly trusts that the vows which he then assumed have neither been forgotten nor their claims disregarded. His College course occupied about four years. Early in the spring of 1841 he bid adieu to his Alma Mater, and set out for the state of Ohio,
Arriving at Canal Dover, he took up his abode with the Rev. J. B. Reck, Lutheran Pastor at that place, for whom he preached occasionally, and under whose supervision he read Theology until the meeting of the English Lutheran Synod of Ohio, which convened in Bucyrus, Crawford County in the Autumn of 1841, at which time and place he received license to preach the gospel. And in two years from that
time, at the meeting of the same synod in Wooster, Wayne County, he was ordained to the work of the Holy Ministry.
His ministry embraces a period of over thirty six-years. His first charge was at Tiffin City, Ohio, and occupied nearly nine years. His second charge was at Findlay, Hancock County, Ohio, and occupied about four years.
In the autumn of 1854 he removed to the State of Illinois and located at Hillsboro, Montgomery County, where he assumed charge of four congregations, viz : at Hillsboro, Litchfield, St. John's, and at Ware's Grove. At the end of seven years he resigned his charge at Hillsboro ; at the end of nine years, he resigned at Litchfield and the following year he gave up St. John's. This charge of four congregations being so large, and the fields so far apart,, the work was necessarily very laborious. It is now divided into three pastorates, and served by three pastors. so In the spring" of 1865 he located on a farm in the vicinity of Ware's Grove and continued to serve the church at that place some nine years longer making his entire ministry in that congregation over nineteen years. After resigning at
Ware's Grove he served the Mt. Zion congregation, in Rountree Township, about two years.
On account of certain physical disabilities he is compelled to desist for the present, from the active duties of the Ministry, which he deeply regrets.
In the month of Oct. 1842 the subject of this sketch was united in marriage with Miss Amanda Mary Beyer of Shanesville, Tuscarawas County, Ohio.
from Semicentenarians of Butler Grove, pgs 28,29,30