Oak Grove Cemetery, at the end of West Tremont Street, was laid out in 1843 on 4 2/3 acres of ground originally set aside as a public burial ground by John Tillson, Jr. The first meeting of the Oak Grove Cemetery Association was held March 29, 1843, when James Blackman
was chosen chairman, and John Hayward
, secretary. On July 29 of that year, thirty-two lots were sold at public auction. Harry Wilton
purchased lot number one for nine dollars.
In 1870 the directors of the cemetery instructed the superintendent to keep a record of the deceased "including the age, sex, and disease of which they die." A tract of ground was set aside for the burial of strangers and those unable to pay for lots.
In 1894 the association purchased five acres from Charles Seymour
, and in 1922 it acquired another five acres from Mrs. Sarah Seymour. A mausoleum
was constructed in 1913.
Records fail to disclose the exact number of graves. Old stones, almost smooth from time and weather, show deaths as early as 1831, twelve years before the association was formed. The only Negro buried in Oak Grove is Martha, the servant of "Uncle Joe
" and "Aunt Jane
" Eccles. She is buried on the Eccles lot.
erected by F. D. Hubbel Post No. 403 and the Woman's Relief Corps, at the entrance of the cemetery, commemorates the soldier dead. There are 225 military graves, which are given special attention by the American Legion and Veterans' Organizations.
A few feet south of Oak Grove is the well-kept St. Agnes Cemetery
for those of the Catholic faith. St. Agnes cemetery has nine soldiers' graves.
Taken from: “Hillsboro Guide” 1940
Current Contact Info:
Oak Grove Cemetery Association
P.O. Box 392
Hillsboro, IL 62049