Submitted by: Historical Society
on: June 12, 2009 | Page view count: 1257 | Article rating:
305 WEST TREMONT STREET
This home was built in 1923 by Dr. and Mrs. Louis S. Brown. It has a Mediterranean flair, with an imported Italian terrazzo floor in the foyer, French doors, and a marble fireplace. The tile roof is one of a few that will be found in town.
Mr. and Mrs. Carl Brooks bought the residence in 1954.
The Coderkos have lived here since 1968. One of their major remodeling projects was a new kitchen in the summer of 1975.The original floor plans of the house have not been changed.
A few keepsakes, inherited by Mrs. Coderko from her grandmother, Mrs. ''Lottie'' Gage, are two matching chairs, one in the foyer and one in the dining room. A matching settee is at the top of the stairs with a pedestal table. Mrs. Gage started housekeeping with these pieces in 1904.
The dining room table is set with china dating close to 100 years old, which was handed down from Mrs. Coderko's great aunt, Miss Mary Louise Sharp. The hutch is filled with glassware and hand painted Prussian and Bavarian plates from Miss Sharp’s collection.
The small lamp table in the entrance hall is an old J & P Coates spool cabinet which, at one time, occupied a prominent spot on the counter of a general store.
Debbie's bed was purchased from the estate of Mrs. Dan Sullivan and the two needlepoint pictures in the open stairway are from the estate of Mrs. Myra Gahn.
The sun porch with its arched windows is a haven for green plants and adds charm to the style of the house. This favorite room is enjoyed throughout most of the year by the Coderko family.
To complete the theme of the house, a small patio with its black wrought iron gives an air of a Spanish courtyard.