Submitted by: Historical Society
on: June 16, 2009 | Page view count: 1630 | Article rating:
Home of Mr. & Mrs. Edward Lane – Hillsboro Illinois
Judge Edward Lane built this house at 624 South Main Street shortly after the Courthouse was built. Because it had the same architectural design and painted the same color, it was called “The Little Court House.” During the Civil War soldiers from both sides were hid in a secret room located on the first floor beneath the spiral staircase. Judge Lane’s daughter Bessie Baugher was born in the house in 1878, was married in the backyard, and sold the house in 1945. For a short time it was an old folks home but was torn down by Pete Patton. It is now the location of the Bass, Patton, Dean Funeral Home & the CVS Pharmacy parking lot.