• Cemetery Locations
    Historical Society of Montgomery County Illinois
    Montgomery County Illinois Cemetery Location Database.
    Search Montgomery County Illinois Cemetery Locations
Montgomery County Illinois Cemetery Locations
Montgomery County Cemetery

Oak Grove Cemetery

"Cottingham" "Haller" "Oak Hill"

 One mile south of Nokomis on 22nd Road is a historic cemetery. It was first called the Grove, then the Cottingham Grove Cemetery. Finally the cemetery was named Nokomis Oak Grove.

There are grave markers dating from 1848 to 1931. Several of the grave markers are of Civil War Veterans and many, many children's graves are found.

Over these many years this cemetery has had several caretakers. During World War II, Mrs. Eva Grimes would pull weeds and used her hoe to cut the brush. In the late 1950's Victor Lehnen set out fruit trees, planted a grape arbor and kept the weeds under control. The years of 1976 - 1977 Jacko Nash again cleaned Nokomis Oak Grove Cemetery as an Eagle Scout project.

In 2003, Nokomis Township Supervisor, Dennis K. Matthews researched the records and contacted the owner. The Township Trustees Stephen Bowers, Pat Epley, Tony Vandenbergh and Jerry B. West voted to accept the deed to the cemetery and to once again start the clean up process.

Many volunteers and many hours of work have put new life into this beautiful cemetery at the bend in the road. But much work is still needed to reset the old tombstones and fill
in the low spots.

Researching the history of Nokomis Oak Grove Cemetery and the school that sat beside the cemetery is an on-going project.

The family of David Morgan and Sarah Hutton-Morgan have shared information about the arrival, marriage, births, deaths and burials of their family in Oak Grove Cemetery. Mrs. Audrey Halford Probst started reading the tomb stones in 1972 and has compiled a list which is on file in the Nokomis Public Library.

Henry Lower held the first school in his home on the Lower farm south of Nokomis, just north of where Oak Grove School would be built in 1850. The building was also used as a place of worship for the Methodist before they built a church in Nokomis. Other congregations used the school building on different Sundays for services before their churches were fully established. Over the years Oak Grove School was a social gathering place for the community.

Four former teachers have been identified: Mrs. Gladys Bottomley and Mrs. Merle Berns, both still living in Nokomis, and deceased teachers, Ruby Weber and Mrs. Teresa Pieper.

Oak Grove School closed when the Nokomis Community Unit School District #22 was formed. The school building became a private residence and several different families lived there before Howard Langen purchased the old school property in 1976 and demolished the building. Howard Langen's family deeded the school and cemetery property to Nokomis Township in 2003.


Taken from: Nokomis Sesquicentennial 1856-2006
Provided by: Marjorie Bailey

 
 

 Oak Grove Cemetery Location

 
Coordinates:
 
U.S. Geological Survey:
Latitude: 39.2750454
 
USGS Feature # 1772125
Longitude: -89.2884178
 
USGS Link: View Feature
 
 
 
Township Location:
 
More Information:
33
 
Section: 34
 
 
Description: NE 1/4 of NE 1/4
 
Active? No
 
 
Interments:
Cemetery # 10-02-04 
 
 
 
 
Page View Count = 1683
 
Photo Provided By: Historical Society
 
 
Location:
 
Recently Updated Cemetery Records
Isabell Boyd
Date of Death: 1863
William Hulbert
Date of Death: 1873
William Temple
Date of Death: 1862
Maria Boyer Temple
Date of Death: 1865
Abraham Temple
Date of Death: 1886
Anna Mary Temple
Date of Death: 1908
Louisa A "Lucy" Temple Dixon
Date of Death: 1883
Birtt Unknown
Date of Death: 187?
Sarah G Hall
Date of Death: 1870
Ebenezer Paddock
Date of Death:
Cemetery Location Database

This page is under construction.

  • Some photos may be missing.
  • Some links may not work.
  • Township name is missing.
  • Number of interments missing.