Wednesday, June 19, 2013
Roll Of Honor
Hillsboro Illinois History and Genealogy Home Page.
Lynette (Dunn) Peraza
Old Settlers Cabin Photo
Remember way back when the old log cabin used to stand in the center of the fairground which is now the Hillsboro Junior High School campus? It was shortly after it was moved back to where it now stands at the rear of the new building, that this picture was taken.
Loan & Trust Founders
In 1869, the Montgomery County Loan & Trust Company, now Montgomery County National Bank, was capitalized by 14 men for $50,000. The original shareholders and the number of shares of $100 par-value stock each held were...
Dr. Vincent J. Parlante M.D.
Dr. Vincent J. Parlante, son of Italian Immigrant parents, studied and practiced medicine throughout the U.S. before settling in Hillsboro in 1959. He was reared in New York City, did undergraduate pre-med work at the University of Missouri and earned his M.D. degree in 1942 from the University of Buffalo, now New Your State University.
Home of Mr. & Mrs Kenneth Traylor Hillsboro Illinois
This home was built about 1904 by Howell M. Dorsey, founder of the Dorsey Lumber company, which was in business, in Hillsboro for many years. The solid construction of the house is evidence of Mr. Dorsey
Home of Dr. & Mrs. Gerald L. Zumwalt - Hillsboro Illinois
The land where the present home sits was first bought by John Tillson, Jr. October 1, l831, from soldiers who were given tracts of land as bounty after the War of 1812. On October 6, 1840, the land was bought by Amos Sawyer and put in the name of his wife, Juliet Sawyer.
Home of Mr. & Mrs. Richard Coderko
This home was built in 1923 by Dr. and Mrs. Louis S. Brown. It has a Mediterranean flair, with an imported Italian terrazzo floor in the foyer, French doors, and a marble fireplace. The tile roof is one of a few that will be found in town.
Home of Mr. & Mrs. Gordon Brown
This is the second house to be situated in this location at Hillsboro Illinois. An earlier frame structure was built by Robert W. and Amanda J. Davis about 1867 and was occupied by them and at least five successors in title prior to 1912. The earlier house faced Jefferson Street, rather than Tremont, at the time these streets were paved in 1911 and 1912. The property was acquired by the late Frank L. and Erna R. McDavid in 1912.
The Great Hail Storm - April 15th, 1910
Friday, April 15, 1910, will be a daylong remembered in Hillsboro, for between three and four oclock in the afternoon of that day this city was visited by one of the most destructive hail storms ever before known in Illinois. The hail stones that fell were the biggest that ever came down the Milky Way, and in ten minutes after they began to fall Hillsboro was a symphony of broken glass and punctured roofs.
Home of Mr. & Mrs. Arthur Salsi
The house at 548 South Main was built by the late C. W. "Squire" Grassel in 1907 for his bride, Miss Frances Glenn. Mr. Grassel was a Hillsboro businessman with large land holdings and was called "Squire" because he had once been a justice of the peace. Miss Glenn was the daughter of Captain and Mrs. John Glenn, members of a prominent, early Hillsboro family. Legend has it that Miss Glenn would not marry the "Squire" until he agreed to build her a house identical to one that she had visited in M
The Home of Mr. & Mrs. W. David Wisdom
The home itself was built in the late 1830’s, consisting of four rooms which are now the front portion of the house. The home has always been occupied by descendants of the Brown family, pioneer settlers of Montgomery County. Dave Wisdom’s grandfather, James P. Brown, was the last by that name to occupy this house.
You can find more articles in the
Copyright 1913-2013 Historical Society of Montgomery County Illinois