Saturday, May 25, 2013
Roll Of Honor
Litchfield Illinois History and Genealogy Home Page. (Includes Hornsby & Honey Bend)
Forgotten Towns of Montgomery County, Illinois
Here is a brief history of some of the early towns in Montgomery County, Illinois.
Very interesting history concerning Elmwood Cemetery
Here is some very interesting history concerning Elmwood Cemetery. In the spring of 1865, a movement was started to purchase land for a cemetery. $1000 was necessary to purchase the land and $1000 for surveying and cleaning it up.
Roller Derby - The Roll-Away Skate Company
The first pair of roller skates to carry a patent was designed by Mr. M. Petitbled, Paris, France, November 12, 1819. The patent described the skates as "a sole made of wood, fitted with two, three or four, copper, wooden or ivory rollers arranged in a straight line." This of course made it impossible for the skate to move on a curved line.
Buske Lines, Inc.
THE BUSKE LINES, Inc., located at 123 West Tyler Avenue, has been operating trucks for 30 years. The company was started in 1923 by Mr. Herman Buske. At that time one trip per week was made to St. Louis, livestock being hauled into the National Stock Yards and freight back to Litchfield. The equipment used was a Model T Ford truck and 4000 pounds, or 2 tons, was a large load. Today they operate a minimum of 4 trucks daily into St. Louis and they have a carrying capacity of 11 to 18 tons.
Litchfield Illinois Public Library
The library was first located in the upstairs rooms of the Cline Building, 421 North State Street. On April 27, 1882, a formal opening was held. By 1889, more room was needed and in August the library was moved to rooms over the First National Bank at State and Kirkham Streets.
The House of Sunshine
THE HOUSE OF SUNSHINE is a symbol of goodwill. It was in the early 1920s that a small publishing business was started in Litchfield, based on the theory that goodwill is more surely the basis of success for the business and professional man today than it was two thousand years ago, when the Man of Galilee went about spreading sunshine.
Litchfield Creamery Company
THE Litchfield Creamery Company was founded in 1912 and was located in the 2nd block of West Sargent Street. The Company operated in this building on a small scale as evidenced by the picture of the original plant. In 1915 Mr. Charles Hauser became associated with the Litchfield Creamery Company, and in the early part of 1916 a new plant was completed at the present location. During the early years about 29 or 30 people were employed. A complete line of dairy products was developed...
The Litchfield National Bank
THE LITCHFIELD NATIONAL BANK was organized in 1907 as a state bank under the name of First State & Savings Bank. Its officers were M. Morrison, President; J. W. Kidd, Vice-President; and M. W. Snell, Cashier. Its original capital stock was 500 shares, and the number has never changed.
The First National Bank of Litchfield Illinois
The First National Bank of Litchfield and its predecessors have been rendering banking service to the Litchfield community for over 93 years. During the year 1860 the bank was established as Brewer, Seymour & Company. In 1868 S. M. Grubbs, who came to Litchfield in 1865, joined this firm, and the name was changed to Brewer, Grubbs & Co.
Litchfield Bank and Trust Company
The history of this bank goes back to 1868, when a man by the name of Nathan Kenyon came here from Brockfort, New York, and opened a bank with a capital of $20,000 in the place now occupied by Farquhars Clothing Store.
You can find more articles in the
Copyright 1913-2013 Historical Society of Montgomery County Illinois